Thanksgiving Leftovers Bread

I bought some organic root veggies and winter squash in bulk from Red Fire Farm.

My mother-in-law made some delicious stuffed acorn squash with it.

A week later, it wasn't looking so hot, and no one in my house was really willing to eat it.

Would great-great grandma Zelda have thrown away a perfectly good squash? No way!

I decided to make bread with it.

Starting with this recipe for butternut squash bread that I found on a site dedicated to using natural yeasts, I adopted it for use with regular yeast and sourdough. (Scroll down for my recipe.)

First step was to salvage the squash from the leftovers and weigh the leftover squash. 

Then I added some water to the squash, and pureed it.

I then went to the extra trouble of warming it up in the microwave for a minute (because it's a cold day, and if I started with cold dough it would never rise — as I learned the hard way last weekend).

Then I weighed the rest of the ingredients and kneaded them together.

Recipe for Leftover Squash Bread


Knead together:
285g sourdough starter @ 100% hydration
330g bread flour (I used 220g all-purpose flour, 100g whole wheat flour, and 10g vital wheat gluten)
285g squash puree (245g squash, 40g water)
2 tsp dry active yeast
1 tbsp honey

Rest for 30 minutes

Add:
9g salt

Knead 

Let rise until double

Shape into a loaf

Proof until doubled

Refrigerate overnight, or bake right away

Bake @ 425F for ~30min

 It should be 200F in the middle of the loaf when it's done. This bread took about 45 minutes all told.


This is a pretty easy way to use up those baked squashes you made for Thanksgiving. 

Comments

Popular Posts